Saturday, November 22, 2008

Stupid Grin

‘Going into town’. This is all we ever do. The clubs and pubs call us out and we fill the void of our youth with their spirits. It makes me long for the days when a good night out meant hanging out at the beach with ice cream, maybe a guitar and a song or two. When someone’s house didn’t merely serve as a pre-drinks waterhole and quality conversation was the stimulant of the evening. Where the music makes your soul dance as well as your feet.

I long to sit and talk just for a bit. Talk about your hopes. Your dreams. Your BELIEFS. Where do you stand on the issue of abortion? What was the last CD you bought? How was your week? Did you like the last movie you saw? Where did you get those shoes? Where can a guy get a drink around here?...if conversation is an art then we are dada. We present meaningless nothings on the pretence of greatness and depth. Shallow like urinals.

We stumble through the awkward small talk, like toddlers unsure of how to stand on our two legs. All we can do is smile embarrassed as someone passes the bottle around.

But I speak too quickly and harshly. I enjoy a good night out as much as the next person and embrace the night without hesitation. Give me balloons and sparklers, champagne and cake, a voice as sore as my feet and feet as quick as my wit, clocks that never die, without reminder of how young we are and what little time we have left…these are but fragments of a quality night out. The moments we share in crisp vision and thought that stay with us for a lifetime.

I’m scared to admit it, but it does come to this:

My only regret is that after years of ‘hanging out’, I barely even know who you are.


Note: I wrote this in a slightly more cynical mood. Sometimes it just feels like even an entire lifetime is not enough to get to know a person.




10 comments:

Trois Grands Garçons said...

this is possibly the best blog ive ever read.

not even a lie.

sleepysleepsleepsleep.

Kloo said...

thanks tim! xx

Zoe said...

yes i agree.. sometimes spending all the milliseconds in a day or a lifetime.. isnt enough to get to know someone..

fiery mittens said...

kev i totally agree, talk to me anytime... i'm up for it!

joshua said...

Holy friggion hell kevman.that was a good blog.
it is people like you that make me afraid to write my own ones.haha.
but i must say; i concur(I CONQUER!)but yes,what you say is quite true and acurate.i dig it.i dig it alot.and i agree with you.

joshua said...

and yes...
i said..."friggion" as opposed to frigging.just trying to break the mould here.you know how it is.haha

nickcentric said...

hello kevin.

joules said...

Yes. Yes.

However, you don’t think we stumble through awkward small talk more often than not day to day rather than in the spiked hours of the night? To be honest, I get less small talk (and may I say, ‘BS’) with most people who are intoxicated than I do when they are sober… but hey, maybe this means I just need new friends? Either that, or drink daily? Ha! Kidding.

Okay… not that you were pointing the finger but you know that my humble house (still in dire need of a suitable name) acts as a watering hole for many other priceless commodities - namely chocolate, televisions (five in fact) and large comfy beds? Not to mention stimulating conversation, challenging thought, quirky and uncontrolled rants and just plain unconditional love?

Perhaps I am too easily persuaded or eager to please the vast majority…

I hear in your words the same despair I heard in my own some two years ago. The thing is, often I am just too tired and doing or providing the usual is just least effort not so much most preferred. Ahh… and therein lies the problem.

Elementary my dear Watson, elementary.

nickcentric said...

I think this joules character raises some interesting points...

Kloo said...

ok joules. Thanks for reading and providing some heated discussion. (:

Like i noted at the end, i wrote this piece at a slightly more cynical time of my life and was just delighting in some of the imagery i made up. Kind of emo-ing it up a bit heh heh.

The MAIN point i was trying to get was my desire to connect on a deeper level with others which we must all make a greater effort at. myself included. It's just far too easy to get caught up in the hee-hoo ha-has of everyday banter.

And yes i do muchly appreciate the "stimulating conversation, challenging thought, quirky and uncontrolled rants and just plain unconditional love" at your yet-to-be-named-place-of-residence, but there's always room for more!

i dunno, we're probably writing/arguing about completely different things.

Nick i still don't quite get your picture. haha.